L'Auberge de Sedona Offers Tips For A Beautiful Sedona Outdoor Wedding
With more than 2.4 million weddings occurring each year in the United States, the bridal industry has grown into a $72 billion-a-year industry*. On-site wedding locations often include hotels, restaurants and clubs, with over 30 percent of weddings held outdoors**.
"The outdoor wedding is more popular than ever, especially in a setting as beautiful as Sedona Arizona," says Meghan Rudolph, wedding planner for the award-winning L'Auberge de Sedona, one of the premier wedding venues in the country. "They're very different from the traditional indoor affair and offer more options, with only the weather as a variable."
Wedding specialist Rudolph offers the following 10 tips that make planning an outdoor Sedona wedding a worry-free, gratifying experience:
1. Budget: Have an exact budget or specific dollar amount when you meet with your wedding planner. Make a prioritized list of what is necessary to create your wedding the way you envision it. This will help in deciding between calligraphy invitations and live music. It can be disappointing to make big plans and then have to cancel them because they're not affordable.
2. Date: Planning the wedding date is extremely important. Have several in mind, since the popular wedding months such as May, June, September and October may limit the choice of dates. At L'Auberge, which is in Sedona, we recommend winter weddings for better value. They can be spectacular at this time of year.
3. Comfort: Remember to ensure your guests' comfort by considering weather conditions on the wedding day. If hot, have ushers offer ice-cold water bottles as guests are seated, or print your wedding program on a hand-held fan to keep your guests cool. Colorful paper umbrellas shade the sun and add beautiful color as well.
4. Backup Plan: What if it rains? The ideal outdoor wedding location should have an indoor plan just in case. However, an outdoor tent is another option, but only for light to moderate rainstorms. Or, the bridal couple might have the ceremony outside and reception inside as a way to minimize the risk of bad weather. Check Sedona Weather and Average Temperatures.
5. Plan for Wind: Windy conditions can wreak havoc on attire, hair, and d'cor. If the location is typically windy, avoid fabrics such as chiffons or China silks. Also, advise your hairstylist that your wedding is outdoors so she/he can design an appropriate style for you and the bridal party. While unity ceremonies are important, wind can have an ill effect on the traditional unity candle. More recent ideas include the sand ceremony and water ceremony.
6. D'cor: With natural beauty all around, outdoor weddings often use fewer decorations. Some to be considered, however, include an arch or trellis, strings of lights or lanterns in the trees, torches, and luminarias or farolitas. A flower petal walkway dense with deep colored rose petals creates a dramatic contrast to green grass. Note: for weddings on grassy areas, ensure the sprinkler system is disabled so guests don't receive an unwanted shower!
7. Food: At L'Auberge, we recommend a reception with food stations with delicious and beautiful food options that are prepared and refreshed on a continual basis. Guests can enjoy the reception without worrying if the food is getting cold or that they'll miss a served food course.
8. Bugs: One way to limit bug disturbances is to use citronella candles. While insects are not typically a concern in Sedona's high dessert, we place citronella candles around the border of the event disguised with red rocks or other natural elements just in case.
9. Sunlight: Couples who consider timing their outdoor wedding to a beautiful sunset should ensure that chairs are oriented away from the sun so it won't shine directly in the eyes of their guests during the ceremony. Check average Seasonal Sunset Times.
10. Attire: If hot weather is in the forecast, wear light fabrics to avoid unnecessary overheating or perspiration. Brides wearing trains should consider the ground they will be walking on to avoid grass and dirt. (An aisle runner can be helpful in avoiding stains.) Consult a makeup professional for makeup that won't cake, streak, or shine and will hold up well for photographs and throughout the event.
* The Knot
** The American Bridal Association
About L'Auberge de Sedona
L'Auberge de Sedona is an intimate creekside retreat that sets elegantly on the banks of Oak Creek in Sedona. Surrounded by the stunning Red Rocks of Sedona Arizona. The Inn's 11 acres of lush forest grounds offer 56 king bed accommodations; including 19 guest rooms and two junior suites in the European styled Lodge, 31 private cottages and four rooms in the expansive Creek House. The AAA Four-Diamond L'Auberge Restaurant on Oak Creek features the culinary artistry with breakfast, lunch, and dinner services and a popular Sunday brunch. The luxurious Spa at L'Auberge, a serene retreat offering a tranquil, rejuvenating experience, is surrounded by lush natural beauty, and offers a carefully crafted spa menu designed to soothe and balance. Guests of L'Auberge are treated nightly to an informal, complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres reception in the living room of the Lodge.
L' Auberge Weddings
Plan A Wedding In Beautiful Sedona